READY FOR TAKE-OFF CONFERENCE
Preparing teens with learning, attention, social and emotional differences for the transition to college
Saturday, April 25, 2015
8:30 AM – 12:00 PM
*Registration begins at 8:00am
Greater Chicago West
705 Jackson Boulevard
Oak Park, Illinois 60304
for more information
Theresa E. Laurie Maitland, PhD, CPCC
Educator and Author
Senior ADHD/LD Specialist & Coach
The Learning Center's ADHD/LD Services
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Author - Ready For Take-Off: Preparing Your Teen with ADHD or LD for College
Karin M. Grimes, LCSW
Owner, Life Transitions Coaching
Therapist, life coach and former school social worker with 35 years of experience working with teens & families
President, Everett Wealth Solutions, Inc. (EWS)
Helping families pay for college without derailing retirement or amassing unmanageable debt. Helping students look beyond college and major selection to a career selection in which they are fit to flourish. A Registered Investment Advisor and Financial Planning Firm. Member FINRA.
Panel Presentation and Discussion
- Learn the differences between high school and college that can cause even the most prepared teenager to have a rocky take-off and solo flight
- Become more aware of the addition challenges that teens with emotional, social, learning, and attention differences are “at-risk” for experiencing
- Evaluate your current patterns of interaction to determine if they are promoting or inhibiting college readiness in the teens in your life
- Learn how to develop an Individualized College Readiness Plan to use at home, at school with teens or in your work with college bound teens with ADHD/LD
- Become aware of resources & procedures for selecting a college setting for teens with ADHD/LD, and strategies for increasing their success
- Learn how to help teens understand their hard-wiring to make best-fit career selection, and get the order right – Career & Majors before College selection
Moderator: Karin Grimes
This session will review the College Readiness Checklist in the book Ready for Take-Off, and discuss ways to use this tool with your child.
We will also discuss how to use a coaching approach to parenting to promote your child’s college readiness.
Educators and Mental Health Professionals
Moderator: Theresa Maitland
This session will discuss how professionals who work with college bound teens and their families can integrate the information from the conference into their current practice.
- How to evaluate whether parents are adopting roles that promote or inhibit their teens' independence
- How to suggest interventions that don't solely modify the environment but simultaneously foster growth in teens
- How to help families assess and strategically develop important college readiness skills
- How to strategically fade the role of parents and academic accommodations to better prepare teens for college
For All Conference Attendees
Moderator: Chris Everett
This session will help you pay the right price – not the sticker price for college.
Discover how one hour may save your life – Savings!
Receive a $500 *SAGE Scholarship for attending this session. *SAGE Scholars Tuition Rewards™ are valid at any participating university.
- 8:00 am - 8:30 am Registration
- 8:30 am - 10:00 am Panel Presentation: Theresa Maitland, Karin Grimes and Chris Everett - Main Floor
- 10:00 am - 10:15 am Break
- 10:15 am - 11:00 am Breakout Sessions: Applications for Home, School & Therapy Office
- For Parents with Karin Grimes - Main Floor
- For Educators and Mental Health Professionals with Theresa Maitland - Lower Level
- 11:00 am - 11:15 am Break
- 11:15 am - 12:00 pm Breakout Session: Pay the Right Price for College - Not the Sticker Price
- For all conference attendees with Chris Everett - Main Floor
Refreshments provided free and available at Encounter Cup on premises: Revival Coffee*, Water, Fruit, Muffins, Bagels
*Proceeds from the Revival Coffee go to help at risk students go to college. Donations are welcome