Saturday, October 17, 2015
12:30PM - 3:30PM
*Registration begins at 12 noon. Lunch is provided.
Greater Chicago West
705 Jackson Boulevard
Oak Park, Illinois 60304
PANEL PRESENTATION AND DISCUSSION
- An in-depth look at Executive Functions based on the work of Dr. George McCloskey, lead author of Essentials of Executive Functions Assessment (2013) and Assessment and Intervention for Executive Function Difficulties (2009)
- Powerful questions your students with and without diagnosed learning differences can ask themselves to check if they have the academic, social, executive functioning and emotional skills to handle college
- A toolbox of solutions and assessments to help students build their capacity to problem solve and to create new habits and routines so they can succeed
- Become aware of resources & procedures for selecting a college setting for teens with ADHD/LD, and strategies for increasing their succes
- Learn to develop an Individualized College Readiness Plan to use at home, at school with teens or in your work with college bound teens with ADHD/LD
- Learn how to help teens understand their hard-wiring to make best-fit career selection, and chose correct Career & Majors before College selection
FEATURED GUEST SPEAKERS
Karen Thomas, M.S.
Special Education Program Director
College Internship Program - Bloomington, IN
Self-regulation, self-awareness and self-determination are the necessary components of the foundation students need to start developing now for the transition to college, careers, and independent living.
This presentation will explore these components further by discussing Executive Functions and the impact they have on behavior and social/emotional learning of young adults diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorders, ADHD, and other Learning Differences. This approach is based on the work of Dr. George McCloskey, co-author of titles including Essentials of Executive Functions Assessment (2013) and Assessment and Intervention for Executive Function Difficulties (2009).
Karin M. Grimes, LCSW
Owner, Life Transitions Coaching - Oak Park, IL
Therapist, life coach and former school social worker with 35 years of experience working with teens & families
Chris Everett, College Financial Planner
President, Everett Wealth Solutions, Inc. - Forest Park, IL
Helping families pay for college without derailing retirement or amassing unmanageable debt. Helping students look beyond college and major selection to a career selection in which they are fit to flourish. A Registered Investment Advisor and Financial Planning Firm. Member FINRA.
12:00 pm - 12:30 pm Registration
12:30 pm - 2:00 pm CIP Presentation: Karen Thomas
2:00 pm - 2:15 pm Local Contact: Karin Grimes
2:15 pm - 2:30 pm Break*
2:30 pm - 3:30 pm College Funding: Chris Everett
*Light refreshments provided
College Readiness 4 Success is proud to have Dominican University as the official sponsor of Continuing Education Units and Professional Development Credits for the 2015 Fall conference. Three CEU's are available for Psychologists, Social Workers, Counselors and Marriage & Family Therapists. Three PD hour credits are available for Educators.